*UPDATE* FEBRUARY 5
Canon 5DS full Press Release has leaked! ... Download the PDF here!
Samples images and videos are available on the Canon website.
Pre-orders have already begun at $3,699.
Canon 5DS News
Specifications for the new EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R have leaked. The camera will officially be announced by Canon on February 6, with availability in late March or early April. Retail price is confirmed to be $3,699 for the base 5DS and pre-orders have started.
Three Different 5D Bodies
Note the maximum ISO of 6,400. This is NOT a Canon 5D Mark IV and is not a direct replacement to the 5D Mark III. The EOS 5DS and 5DS R constitute a "split" in the 5D line, and are for those specifically seeking high MP bodies and better color reproduction. This sounds like a commercial studio and big-print landscape camera that will try to compete directly with PhaseOne and Hasselblad.
The 5DS series boasts a new CFA (Color Filter Array) that will yield unparalleled color accuracy from a Canon camera. However, the new CFA significantly limits ISO range. As a result, the 5D lineup will consist of three bodies in 2015: the 50 megapixel 5DS, the 5DS R (with the low pass filter removed), and the 5D Mark IV: a 20+MP body with a "standard" range of ISOs that event photographers have come to love.
What About the 5D4?
Canon is still keeping the 5D Mark IV under wraps, and an official announcement is rumored for summer 2015. Northlight is reporting the Mark IV will have significantly improved video features (4k?) and a "modest" increase in MP. I would also expect the typical 1-2 stop noise improvement in ISOs.
Get ready folks, 2015 looks to be a banner year for Canon fans! Discuss in the Canon 5DS Forum.
Canon 5DS Specifications (Updated 2/3/2015)
- 50.6mp full frame CMOS
- 53mp total resolution
- 5DS R has no low pass filter
- AF 61 points (41 points cross type)
- ISO 100-6400 (extended with ISO50 and 12800)
- Dual DIGIC 6
- 3.2 inch LCD 1.04 million pixels
- RAW (50MP), M-RAW (28MP), S-RAW (12.4MP)
- CF (UDMA7), SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I)
- Crop modes 1.3x and 1.6x
- 100% field of view
- Magnification 0.71 times, the eye point 21 mm
- Electronic Level
- Grid display
- EV-2 support.
- Itr AF
- Time-lapse movie
- Bulb timer
- Face recognition during live view
- 150,000 pixel RGB-TR metering sensor
- 252 zone TTL metering
- EOS iSA system
- Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds
- Sync-speed is 1/200 sec (synchro)
- Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec
- Video 1920×1080 30fps (ALL-I or IPB)
- Mini HDMI output terminal
- External microphone terminal
- Battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
- Dimensions 152 x 116.4 x 76.4mm
- Weight 930g (CIPA guidelines). 845g (body only)
- Availability is late March/early April
Specs sourced from Japanese website Digicame-Info via Google Translate.